HYPE Freedom School, Inc. (HYPE) serves children who most need and yet their families can least afford summer learning opportunities. Championing the cause to defeat summer learning loss and giving every child an opportunity to succeed is the foundation of HYPE. While implementing the Children’s Defense Fund Freedom Schools model, HYPE complements the school-year. CDF Freedom Schools programs are 6-week, literacy-based summer learning programs for K-12th graders operating from June 15 – July 22, 2020. Under the instruction of college-student interns, this model complements the school year learning by:
- Providing daily enrichment to the Freedom School scholars Monday – Friday, 8:30 am – 3:00 pm
- Engaging scholars through an integrated reading curriculum that includes conflict resolution, problem solving and social action.
- Inspiring a love of reading
- Building self-awareness in a fun and culturally-rich environment and
- Providing one book each week to the scholars for his or her personal library, extending the learning and support to their homes.